Sunday, January 4, 2009

Black Bean Salad with Chicken, Feta, Pumpkin Seeds and Cilantro

Now it’s time for a story about a salad. Not sure how everyone else feels about what went on around the holidays but I am pretty disgusted with myself. This salad seems like an appropriate and vaguely healthy start to the new year.

This recipe was inspired by a dish that I had in San Francisco this past November. I was visiting with family, and my cousin Erin took me to lunch at a café near her work.

I haven’t really stopped thinking about this salad since. (Yes, I have problems with food). The beans are meaty, the feta is salty, the pumpkin seeds are crunchy and the cilantro is spicy. And the chicken makes it filling enough to be an evening meal.

Serve without the chicken, and this makes for a perfect side salad at a picnic or barbeque.

1 cup black beans, rinsed (15 oz)

1 cup grape tomatoes, halved

½ cup crumbled feta

½ cup chopped cilantro

½ medium purple onion, chopped

Juice of 1 lime

½ cup pumpkin seeds, shelled (you can substitute peanuts)

1 TB olive oil

Salt and pepper to taste

2 skin-on, bone-in chicken breasts (cooked at 425 for 40 – 45 minutes, cover breasts in salt, pepper, red pepper flake and olive oil before cooking)

Combine all the ingredients while chicken is cooking in the oven. Let sit in fridge. The flavors will intensify.

When chicken is done, let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Slice meat off bone and cut into bite-size pieces. I leave crispy skin on, but feel free to remove.

Mix warm chicken into salad and serve.

This serves 2 hungry people for dinner, or 3 people for a light lunch.

No comments: