Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Is there really a difference between Bread Pudding and French Toast?


Kristin and I had a discussion on this topic earlier this week, and we've have decided that there is no real difference. It's bread and eggs and cream. One is served after dinner, and one is served in the morning. But I like my breakfasts to be more like dessert anyway. I mean, couldn't you serve donuts for dessert, or perhaps apple pie for breakfast? It would be perfectly okay with me.


I make my French Toast as a casserole. It's inspired by a recipe I saw on Paula Deen's Food Network show.

I altered Paula's recipe a bit. She uses a bit more cream and butter, if you can believe that.

Preheat Oven to 350 Degrees

Egg/Cream Mixture
8 eggs
2 cups half and half
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla

Combine ingredients and beat until smooth.

Slice one loaf (16 0z) French bread. Each piece should be 1 inch thick. Line up in a well buttered 9 x 13 baking dish. Pour egg/cream mixture over top. Let sit in fridge for about an hour, or even overnight.

Pecan Cinnamon Crumble Topping
1 stick softened butter
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
Mix altogether with hands in small bowl

Spread crumble on top of casserole and place in hot oven for 45 minutes

2 comments:

Katestrz said...

Best french toast that has ever crossed my lips. A true winner Beth!!!! Great to soak the night before and serve or easy to whip up. YUM. Real maple syrup is important too.

Unknown said...

The difference is French toast is pan-fried and bread pudding is baked.