Sunday, June 6, 2010

The only way to make garlic bread

I am not offering any twist on this. I'm sharing it with you directly as Ina Garten shared it.

It is dripping with olive oil, butter, and fresh herbs. It's a wonderful mess. I made this along with steak and salad for a few friends over Memorial Day weekend. The steak was marinated and perfectly cooked, thanks to my husband Ben, but the star of the show was this garlic bread. I had countless pieces. By piece number 2 I learned to sop up the meat juices with the bread. I don't even know know how the bread had any more sopping abilities considering it was already completely saturated with deliciousness.

Pre-heat oven to 400

1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
1/4 cup oregano, finely chopped
6 cloves of garlic, finely copped
1/2 cup of olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
1 loaf of ciabatta, cut in half horizontally.

Heat olive oil over a medium heat in a sauce pan. While that warms, smear the two tablespoons of butter on one side of the bread. Once the olive oil is warm, add the parsley, oregano, garlic and salt and pepper. Cook for a minute or two, then poor the mixture over the half of the bread without the butter. Then lay the buttered side on top, wrap in tin foil and place in hot oven for about 5-8 minutes.

Very easy.

My son Simon who is 1 loved it. Who wouldn't! He was going piece for piece like the grown-ups. Thank god I made more then one loaf. I did not intend on making the two, but sometimes I'm clairvoyant when it comes to food.

1 comment:

Marie said...

Love it when simple preparations yield extremely addictive results! Sounds very tasty.