Sunday, January 2, 2011

Happy New Year, My Wakeful Toddler, and Orange Vanilla Panna Cotta

Happy New Year everyone! I had every intention of writing and posting this item Saturday during my son Simon's nap. Yesterday morning he woke up crying -- bad sign. By 11 a.m., he was rolling around on the living room floor rubbing his eyes and screeching. I took him upstairs for his nap, which I hoped would be a long slumber. He was out in minutes. I showered and organized the kitchen and living room, and then sat down to write. It was 11:52, and I heard a soft moan coming from Simon's room. I prayed that he might find his way back to sleep. I always hope that will happen and it never does.

Since Simon was born he's struggled with sleep. He's a year and half now, and he's pretty much mastered falling asleep on his own, but staying asleep, well, that's a different story. My husband and I are always amazed by how loudly he cries when he's tired. He screams at the very top of his lungs. At Thanksgiving, when we were visiting my husband's family in Los Angeles, he cried so hard the first night that he lost his voice. I'm sure when we eventually expand our family our next child will be good sleeper and be very quiet. That's how it works, right? (I don't actually want anyone out there to answer this question, so please keep your thoughts to yourself, thank you very much)

Now, back to the point of the post. I made Orange Vanilla Panna Cotta for dessert on New Year's Eve. I had made an Asian-themed dinner, and I thought this made for a refreshing, cool ending. I adapted this from another cookbook Morgan (my sister-in-law) gave me last year, "The Splendid Table's How to Eat Supper." It reminds me of a creamsicle, but better because you eat it with a spoon. The texture is similar to soft serve ice-cream. It's dreamy.

Orange Vanilla Panna Cotta

2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
2 tablespoons cold water
3 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
zest of 1 orange
1 cup sour cream

Mix gelatin and water, and set set aside. On medium-high heat combine cream, sugar and vanilla in a saucepan. Bring to a near boil, and then remove from heat and add gelatin mixture. Let cool for a few minutes. In a large bowl combine sour cream with zest, and then gently pour cream mixture over top. Mix until smooth.

Pour 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup portions into ramekins or small bowls. Juice glasses or small mugs can work too. You will serve this in whatever you use. This panna cotta is super soft, and I wouldn't try to plate it. I think they would just turn into a puddle, not pretty and hard to eat.

1 comment:

Mehan's Kitchen said...

yum! you always make things I would never have thought of trying!