Monday, December 1, 2008

The Most Wonderful Cranberry Sauce Ever

This recipe is adapted from my hero, Ina Garten. I made it for this Thanksgiving, and it was a huge hit. I am still a fan of the canned cranberry sauce -- I am no snob -- but I recommend giving your guests a choice. My mother-in-law had both kinds at her Thanksgiving table.

1 (12-ounce) bag of fresh cranberries, rinsed
2 cups sugar
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and chopped
1 orange, zest grated and juiced
1 cup golden raisins
1 cup chopped walnuts

Cook the cranberries, sugar, and 1 cup of water in a saucepan over low heat for about 5 minutes, or until the skins pop open. Add the apple, orange zest, and juice and cook for 15 more minutes. Remove from the heat and add the raisins and nuts. Let cool, and serve chilled.

No comments: