Sunday, April 12, 2009

Brisket is Easy!


The first time I made brisket it was so-so. It had nice flavor but was ropey and chewy. The second time was a success. The secret to brisket is in the cooking time (long) and the temperature (low). It's in the oven for 4 - 5 hours.

I made the following brisket for my husband for Passover.

I used a 4-lb brisket.

Dry off brisket, and season with salt/pepper, chili powder, paprika and garlic powder. I didn't even measure. I just sprinkled the spices until the brisket was nice and sandy.

After that I combined the following ingredients in a medium size bowl

2 cups tomato juice
3 TB Worcestershire sauce
1 12 oz. beer (I used Sam Adams because it was in my refrigerator)
2 TB light brown sugar

Place brisket in large roasting pan, and pour above mixture over top. Add a few onions, peeled and quartered, and place in 300 degree oven covered with tinfoil

Cook for 4 1/2 hours

Remove foil and cook for another 35 minutes.

The brisket will brown on top.

Transfer brisket to carving board. Pour liquid into medium sauce pan, and keep warm on stove.

Slice brisket against the grain, and serve on large platter. Pour some of the roasting liquid on top, and place the rest in a bowl or gravy boat for those who want more at the table.

If you want to add potatoes, please do!

I added 1 lb of baby Yukon gold potatoes to the roasting pan after three hours. They were delicious.

In addition to the potatoes and brisket, I served string beans with lots of butter. The perfect complement.

No comments: