Thursday, April 30, 2009

Judgey McJudgerson's Answer to your BBQ Blues


I don't know about where you live - except I sort of do because think most of you live more or less near me - but here in Baltimore, we had a little taste of sweltering mid-summer earlier this week and, although we've returned to a soggy, chilly version of spring, I now have the back yard cookout on the brain. Of course, regular readers will recall that my love for my grill knows no season, but once the mercury hits 70 or higher, there's no turning back.

However, regular readers may also recall my disdain for bottled marinades, sauces and dressings. Honestly, read the back of the average bottle of mass produced commercial bbq sauce, marinade or salad dressing and tell me if you don't see just a few things that you might not want to ingest or, at the very least, items you don't understand or recognize. I do not have in my pantry, nor do I know where to obtain, Xanthan Gum. Sodium Benzoate does not sound delicious. Potassium Sorbate could be embalming fluid for all I know.

Sauces, marinades and dressings should impart flavor...that's their whole job. They should not require of their users an advance chemistry degree. They should not last through the apocalypse. They should just taste good. Therefore, you should make them yourselves. Regular readers may also recall that I proclaimed judgement on anyone not willing to make their own BBQ sauce. That may sound harsh, but seriously, what is holding you back? Here, I'll help.

In fact, I consider the arena of marinades my particular culinary strength. Stock your pantry with a few simple, flavorful staples and there is no poultry you cannot baste, no steak you cannot tenderize, no fish you cannot render, well, un-fishy. Of course, I have a few dozen staples in my pantry, but my relationship with food is intense and complicated and may or may not require eventual intervention.

Although I have thus far refused to share my traditional BBQ sauce recipe with anyone not blood related to me, I am going to get you started with a tasty and unique condiment that will spice up your spring grilling and then some. I am guessing a few of the ingredients might require a trip to the grocery store for some of you, but once you buy them, you'll find new and interesting ways to use them if you try. (Homemade salad dressing anyone?) As always, I encourage you to alter everything to your personal tastes and experiment freely! As my almost three year old illustrates everyday, everything is better when it is yours, all yours and nobody else's!


Chinese BBQ Sauce

Ingredients:
{Note: Mirin, Hoisin, Five Spice Powder and Siracha are all available in the Asian foods aisle of better grocery stores. When in doubt, shop Whole Foods.}

3 T. Mirin
1/4 c. Soy sauce
3 T. Hoisin Sauce
1 1/2 T. Fresh ginger
1 tsp. garlic powder or 1 clove fresh garlic
1 tsp. coriander
2 tsp. Five Spice Powder ( a prepared blend of licorice root, cinnamon, anise, fennel seed and ground cloves used in Asian cooking)
1/2 tsp. red pepper flake (or more to taste)
1 - 2 tsp Siracha or Chili-garlic paste (a prepared Asian condiment)

Instructions:
Combine all ingredients and whisk thoroughly to combine. Marinate bone-in chicken pieces (as in photo above) or other poultry, skewered shrimp or scallops, beef kabobs, pork tenderloin or chops (or anything else you can think of) in sauce for an hour before cooking, turning occasionally. Then, continue to baste on sauce while grilling over medium high heat to avoid flare ups since sauce has high sugar content. If you want to use the remaining marinade as additional dipping sauce after cooking, bring it to a quick boil before serving to render out any bacteria from raw proteins.

1 comment:

Beth said...

WOW! Looks awesome. That picture is beautiful.