Sunday, June 7, 2009

Too Many Bananas!


My smoothie craze is over, mostly because my son Simon is not fond of my consumption of dairy. He screamed last Saturday after my last smoothie, pretty much all day.

Got the message! I'll try making smoothies with soy milk. Although I've heard that soy may not be so good for baby boys either, something to do with estrogen. Whatever.

Here's my point: I have too many bananas now. So on Saturday I made banana bread. I browsed lots of recipes, and I came up with my own version. It's not too sweet, and is perfect for breakfast.


10 TB unsalted butter softened
3 bananas, smashed
1/2 cup nonfat yogurt
3 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups all purpose flower
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350. Grease 9" x 5" loaf pan. If you don't have this size you can use 8 1/2" - 4 1/2" loaf pan. Just don't use all the batter. Fill pan to 3/4 full.

Mix together flour, sugar, backing soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl mix together bananas, yogurt, eggs and vanilla.

With hand mixer, mix butter with dry ingredients. Then start adding banana mixture. Mix at medium speed until smooth batter forms.

Pour into loaf pan and bake for 60 to 70 minutes.

2 comments:

Matt, Melissa, and Henry said...

Too funny, Henry also couldn't handle my dairy cravings - it made him awfully gassy. I do remember your banana bread that you brought over and how moist and delicious it was. Yum. Can't wait to try this out. Also, wanted to let you know that I made your white bean and asparagus soup and it came out really well.

Beth said...

so glad the soup came out well :) I make it all the time. this banana bread is very yummy! i highly recommend it.