Sunday, June 14, 2009

Vietnamese Grilled Pork Skewers

I have a new diet for awhile. I must go dairy-free. My son is more then just sensitive to my dairy consumption, he's allergic. Sad, but true. So I need to re-think my entire diet. I'm most sad about cheese. Soy milk is not so bad, and soy ice cream is actually quite delicious, but there can be no replacement for cheese.

This is going to be hard, but thankfully there are cuisines that involve little to no dairy. Vietnamese being one of them. Thank GOD!

My husband made Vietnamese pork on Saturday night.

This marinade will work for about 1 lb of pork.

Buy any cut of pork you like -- boneless loin or chops work well -- and cut into thin strips.

Combine the following ingredients:

zest of one lemon
half of one onion, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
3 TB sugar
3 TB fish sauce
Juice of 2 limes
1 tsp black pepper

Blend in a blender until it's a thick paste. Pour over the pork and marinate for up to an hour (don't do it any longer, since these are strong flavors). Thread the pork onto wood skewers and cook on a hot grill for just 1-2 minutes per side.

Serve over rice noodles, and garnish with chopped peanuts.

No comments: