Sunday, August 23, 2009

Myrtle Beach Curry Chicken

I packed equal parts clothes and cooking equipment on my beach vacation this year. And to be really honest, I think I actually packed more of my kitchen then my wardrobe. Oh well! But with a baby, it's hard to go out to dinner. In fact, my husband and I never go anywhere with out the little guy. We love him so much, but he can't do dinner yet. We tried once or twice, but he still very much likes to cry from about 5- 7 each night. Since we can't go out, it's important to me that we eat well! His bed time is 8 p.m., which gives me time to whip up a delicious dinner.

Below is a recipe I just threw together on our trip. Normally, I would have used fresh ginger and fresh garlic, but I didn't have them available. (But yes, I did have coriander. I am a good packer.)

It may have been improvised, but this recipe is awesome. A true keeper!

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1nch pieces
1 1/2 yellow onion roughly chopped
2 tomatoes, de-seeded and roughly chopped
1 cup (half a can) of coconut milk
2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Combine curry powder, coriander, turmeric, ginger and garlic powder, and set aside. Sprinkle about have of the spice mixture on top of the cut-up chicken. Sprinkle a little salt and fresh ground pepper on top too. Heat up a large skillet with 1 TB vegetable oil, and brown chicken. Don't worry about cooking through, just get the meat nice and brown and remove from pan. Add onions, tomato and the rest of the spice mixture to pan. Cook for about 8-10 minutes until tomatoes and onions are soft.

Return chicken to skillet, and then add 1 cup coconut milk.

Let simmer on medium low for 5-8 minutes. Allow chicken to cook through and the the sauce to thicken. Serve over rice!

No comments: