Sunday, October 11, 2009

I'm Back! (With Risotto)

It's been just about a month since my last post. September was challenging for me, to say the least, but don't worry readers (all two of you) because I'm back! I will now be posting every other Sunday. I would like to do a post each week, but I don't want to promise something I can't deliver. So let's cross our fingers and hope I can bring you two fabulous recipes a month. And the following recipe is FABULOUS. I adapted it from a recipe from the Washington Post's Food Section this past week. Thank you Joe Yonan!

Curried Butternut Squash Risotto

2 onions, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 cup roasted butternut squash, mashed
(you can roast the squash the day before you make this risotto, just cut a squash in half and roast for 40-60 mins at 375, season before roasting with salt/pepper and olive oil)
1 cup Arborio rice
5 cups chicken stock (homemade if you've got it)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 tsp curry powder

Bring chicken stock up to boil, and then turn down heat to low. Heat a large skillet with a bit of olive oil and start to cook the onions/garlic - 5-7 mins. Then add the rice, salt/pepper and curry powder. Cook for about 3 mins.

Then start adding the stock 1/2 cup at a time. Keep adding liquid and stirring as it absorbs into the rice. Repeat process until you've added all the stock, 30-35 mins. Stir in butternuts squash mash, and cook for another 5 mins.

Now, Joe Yonan recommends serving with toasted pistachio nuts on top. Sounds lovely, but I didn't have any in my pantry, so I toasted some pine nuts. Worked just fine : )

No comments: