Sunday, July 11, 2010

Tomato and Summer Vegetable Bake

I am hoping this recipe makes the cut for the Washington Post's tomato recipe contest. Deadline is July 15. If only this was American Idol and you all (my two readers) could text in your votes. But thankfully, unlike American Idol, recipe contests are not really about votes but about taste. At least, I hope that's the case. I've never entered a recipe contest before and I am hoping I win right out of the gate. Winning is about talent and ego. I think I've got the talent, and I am working on an overblown ego. I try to never listen or learn from mistakes (because I never make them, duh). I'm smarter and better looking then most. I'm also very humble and really "f*cking nice". You might recognize that last line, I took it from Mel Gibson. I understand he's got a tremendous ego, and a real way with women.

And now, my recipe.

1 medium summer squash sliced, 1/4 inch thick
1 medium zucchini sliced, 1/4 inch thick
5 medium tomatoes, sliced, 1/4 inch thick
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs (use whatever bread you have in the house)
1/2 cup grated pecorino cheese

First you need these vegetables to give off a bit of their water so you should sweat out the zucchini and squash. Slice them and then toss them in a colander with a dash of salt. Let them sit in colander over a bowl for 60 minutes. After that lay them out on a clean towel and press another clean towel to absorb excess moisture.

For the tomatoes, lay out the slices on a clean towel, sprinkle with a little salt and let them hang out for 30 minutes or so. Then, just like the zucchini and squash lay another clean towel to absorb the excess moisture. This step may seem annoying but it prevents this dish from become watery. I wish I could take credit for the idea but I got it from an an article in Cook's Illustrated a few years back.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Grease a 9" x 13" baking dish with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.

In a large bowl toss together squash and zucchini with salt, pepper, garlic, parsley and the remaining olive oil. Lay out a layer of squash/zucchini in dish. Then lay out a layer of the tomatoes. After the tomatoes are down add a couple cracks of pepper and a pinch of salt. You want all the layers well seasoned. Repeat this until you are out of vegetables.

Please in hot oven for 30 minutes. Turn oven up t 425. Combine cheese and bread crumbs and pour over top. Bake for another 15-20 minutes. When the top is brown it's done.


Let cool for 15 minutes. This is great as a side dish and main dish.

No comments: