Thursday, October 7, 2010

Irish Bars, Michael Flatley and Guinness Beef Stew

This recipe is a tribute to my drinking days. I am not much of drinker anymore. I have two beers and I'm falling down drunk. Pathetic. In the old days (meaning my twenties), I could really throw them back. Some of my favorite bars included Murphy's, Mick O'Shea's, Mackey's, Nanny O'Brien's, Ireland's Four Fields (formerly know as the Four Courts), The Irish Times, The Dubliner, Biddy Mulligans and The Irish Chanel. I could go on, but I think I am only embarrassing myself. And if I wasn't at an Irish bar, I was drinking with my Irish Catholic friends. I recall in college trying to track down a poster of Michael Flatley for my friend Karen's 21st birthday. Sadly, we couldn't find one so we settled on getting her a pinata, a 30 pack of beer, and a video of "The Lord of the Dance." We all got drunk, cracked open the pinata, watched "Lord of the Dance," played a nice binge drinking game called "Power Hour," and then headed out to the bars. I'm exhausted just thinking about doing all that. Granted, I did spend most afternoons resting on the coach watching "Jerry Springer" and "Days of our Lives" in my dorm. College = money well-spent.

Since I don't drink much now, I get my kicks from cooking. I basically made up this recipe. I browsed lots of recipes for Guinness stew, and I took what seemed like the best parts of each of them. Adding the baker's chocolate came from a Cook's Illustrated recipe. I think this one ingredient takes this stew recipe from good to great. I've made beef stews before, but this is my favorite by far. I don't think I will ever not make this version. Guinness has wonderful texture and flavor. Obviously it's great to drink, but it's also awesome to cook with -- and no hangover. I'm going to have to research other ways to incorporate it in my food. Perhaps I'll pour it over my corn flakes tomorrow, or swirl it in my oatmeal. I'll keep you posted on my findings.


Guinness Beef Stew

1 1/2 - 2 lbs stewing beef
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons kosher salt (divided)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
3 medium onions, peeled and quartered
2 medium carrots, 1-inch pieces
5-6 medium red potatoes, quartered
1 large tomato, roughly chopped
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2-3 dried bay leaves
2 cups Guinness
1/2 cup water
1 ounce bittersweet baking chocolate
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped.

Pat the stew meat dry with a paper towel. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper over meat. Dredge each piece in flour and shake off extra flour.

Heat up 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in dutch oven. Brown beef on all sides. It will take about 8-10 minutes. Remove meat from pan. Add onions, carrots, potatoes, salt, thyme and bay leaves. Let cook down and scrape the bottom of dutch oven with wooden spoon to get all the brown bits left from the stewing meat. As the tomatoes start to break down, add beer, water and baking chocolate. Bring to a boil, and then turn off stove. Place in a 300 degree oven for 2 1/2 hours.

Before serving stir in two tablespoons of fresh chopped parsley.

No comments: