Saturday, November 8, 2008

Mrs. Potato Head

Welcome, friends, to November here on Salty Sour Spicy Sweet, a month dedicated entirely to the sort of autumnal sides and starters that you might want to serve with, I dunno, saaaay a turkey? Later this month, maybe? Let's see what we can come up with.

If you've met me, sat next to me at dinner or gotten stuck behind me in line at a fancy wedding reception mashed potato bar (thanks, Court & Rich), you know all about my high regard for the lowly potato. Mashed, fried, hashed (like for breakfast, not hallucinating), baked, roasted, whipped or au gratin, my esteem for the potato is near obsessive. I have been known to order in restaurants based on starchy side dish as opposed to protein entree and don't even take me to a steakhouse unless you want to see a disturbing display of carb loading. With apologies to really perfect steaks, arugula, burgers and - my other starchy love - artisinal breads, potatoes may just be my favorite food.

All of the obvious reasons for adoration apply here...potatoes are comforting, they are soothing they sustained my Irish ancestry throughout the ages (aside from a notable period of agrarian potato strife). But, above all else, they are chameleons, suitable for any occasion and adaptable to any menu. Of course, moderation is advised since we all know way too much about the havoc excess starch can wreak on the old waistline, but this time of year, there is really no denying the versatility and general loveliness of the potato. Don't fight it and, if you run into me this holiday season, do not even raise a judge-y eyebrow at my second helping. Mrs. Potato Head here answers to a higher authority.

In anticipation of Thanksgiving, I bring you my favorite basic potato recipe. In general, I think turkey calls for a mashed potato with gravy, but not a crazy fancy garlic-horseradish-parmesean-smashed potato version. Keep it simple, creamy and delightful. Trust me, I'll get back to you later in the month with a dressier holiday version or two since, as you might have guessed, I am a veritable cornucopia of potato recipes. Let's start at the top, and no skimping on the butter. These are not good for you and that is all there is to it. If you're the sort of person who diets on Thanksgiving, I don't wanna know ya.

Classic Creamy Mashed Potatoes
Ingredients:
3 - 4 pounds good, old fashioned, Idaho Russet Potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch chunks
kosher salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/2 - 1 cup whole milk, 1/2 & 1/2 or heavy cream (go for it...it's the holidays)
6 - 8 ounces Mascarpone Cheese, or Cream Cheese if you prefer
1/4 cup sour cream (OK...if you want to save yourself, use fat free...I almost always do)
1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
1/4 - 1/2 tsp white pepper
More salt to taste

Instructions:
Cook potatoes in boiling salted water until they are easily pierced with a fork, probably just a bit longer than 20 minutes. Unlike pasta, feel free to add potatoes to cold water and then bring it all to a boil together. Saves a bit of cooking time. Drain away the cooking liquid. Working while potatoes are hot, add butter, cream, cheese and sour cream in increments, just a few tablespoons at a time, mashing with an old-fashioned hand masher after each addition. Don't go overboard and add all of anything at once because once your potatoes are too wet and runny, there is no going back and that would be a tragic waste of potato.

I like to use an old fashioned hand masher because I like some lumps. If it is your preference or tradition to whip your potatoes, go right ahead but you might need more liquid so go with regular milk to avoid an overkill on the richness factor. If you own a potato ricer or mill and that's your thing, go for it. The main point here is the addition of the mascarpone which will result in a dense, rich finished product and the lack of garlic which is so overused in potato mashing these days. Let the dairy, salt and pepper do the talking. You'll do your turkey proud. Don't forget gravy! We'll have some gravy tips for you later int he month.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

God girl, it's as if you've written everything I've ever felt about the potato. ***bowing in adoration***