Saturday, November 1, 2008

The last Apple POST: Oatmeal Apple Pancakes


This is it! The last of the apple themed posts. I hope you've enjoyed October's tribute to the apple. We will have a new theme for November, and I'll let Kristin introduce that in her next post.

I am a big fan of breakfast for dinner, and these pancakes make a perfect evening meal especially when eaten with fistfuls of bacon. (I am also a fan of arranging my breakfast to look like a face, as in the photo above, but that's another story.)

Before making the batter, peel and slice one medium-sized apple. Cook in sauté pan with a little butter (1TB) and brown sugar (2 TB) for 5 minutes, tops. You just want them soft. When done, mash them up a bit with a fork. You want it like a chunky apple sauce.

2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs
2 1/2 cups whole milk
1 medium apple peeled, sliced, cooked and mashed.

Mix batter, careful not to over-mix, and be sure to incorporate apple mash.

Pour batter (1/4 cup), into a well buttered heated pan or skillet. Let cook on each side for 2 minutes. Serve with lots of butter and syrup.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yum...we are trying this one tomorrow. and i am also a HUGE fan of breakfast for dinner. love the blog...blog myself...check it out at http://chroniclesofmomnia.blogspot.com
http://imnotafashionistabutiplayoneontv.blogspot.com

enjoy and feel free to comment!

Anonymous said...

my husband (travis -- you know him from loyola?) just finished making the pancakes...YUM! we are sold and will be keeping up with your fun recipes (and even more fun stories)!

Beth said...

I remember Travis :) And I am so glad you enjoyed the pancakes.

I will check out your blogs too!