Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Chicken, Apple, Walnut and Cheddar Salad with Honey Dijon Vinaigrette

I admit, I love the apple-cheddar combo. It's great, and this salad is the way to have it in a pseudo-healthy way.

I like to brine my chicken, and I have a brine that I've been enjoying lately. Sweetwater Spice Company makes a Chipotle Apple brine that works wonders (and only takes 30 minutes). Once the chicken is brined, feel free to grill or bake it. Whatever is easiest for you. If you bake, just cook for about 30 minutes at 400 in your oven.

2 cooked chicken breasts boneless/skinless, chopped
1 medium sized apple, chopped
3/4 cup cheddar, cubed
1/2 cup toasted walnuts
1 bag of salad mix, any kind you like

When chopping or cutting up anything for a salad be sure to make everything approximately the same size. Also, get a salad bowl that is shallow. Deep salad bowls allow all the delicious cheese and chicken to sink to the bottom. Wide and shallow is best :)

Honey-Dijon Vinaigrette
2 TB Dijon Mustard
1 TB Honey (feel free to add more honey if you like it sweeter)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil
Salt/pepper to taste
Mix with whisk and pour over salad before serving

This is plenty for two for dinner! It would make a nice lunch for four.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

while I am a big believer in brining poultry and pork, I find that since brines are essentially salt and water you are better off making your own rather than buying them. just a thought, recipe sounds wonderful

Unknown said...

Hi John and Beth,

I just signed up for google alerts and found this posting about my products.

Beth, thanks for the kind words. I'm always happy to hear that people enjoy our brines.

John, while I agree with you that most brines are easy to make on your own, mine are not. Our brines are primarily fruit juices and spices and would cost you $20 to replicate at home - more than twice the cost of our product.

Further, our products are concentrates and ready-to-use so they cover enough meat to feed an army and don't require any prep time.

For those who want to make their own brine, the basic formula is 1 gallon of water, 1 cup of salt, and 1/2 cup of sugar. To that you can add spices. Try it a few times and compare your own to my products - I'm confident you'll find mine superior and much easier to use.

benpershing said...

Looking at the ingredients on the brine we have from Sweetwater, it is more than just salt and water. It's also got apple juice, chipotle, tamarind paste and other spices. Really it's like a cross between a marinade and a brine.