Monday, September 15, 2008

Getting to know you...

We here at Salty Sour Spicy Sweet figure that if we are going to be encouraging all of you to use some of our recipes and stuff that you should know a bit about us. Here are some of our favorite things. If you feel compelled, we'd love to hear about some of your favorite things too. Just click the comment button below to weigh in!

Favorite cooking show?
Beth:
Barefoot Contessa! By far! I love her home in the Hamptons. I want to be her friend very badly. Additionally, all of her recipes are simple and straightforward, and I love that.
Kristin: I am partial to Boy Meets Grill with Bobby Flay. I can't tell you how much I appreciate his willingness to grill virtually EVERYTHING and I love that he's not too snobby to use a gas grill sometimes while he does it. I'm all about a grill. I covet his sprawling rooftop NYC terrace. I want to be invited over for dinner. And, despite my struggles with high school chemistry, I sort of can't get enough of all the science-y factoids on Good Eats with Alton Brown.

Who is your favorite celebrity chef?
Beth: I really want to say Anthony Bordain. I mean he's great, but he falls apart quickly for me. I think of him as food writer more than a chef. And someimtes I find his trash talk of other chefs a tad grating even if sometimes I agree with him.
I am going to go with Mario Batali. He always kicks ass on Iron Chef America. I've also been to one of his restaurants, so I can honestly say I've eaten his food, or at least ate food that he at one point perhaps might of made. I mean, that's something, right???
Kristin: If it were not for his well documented distaste for my fair Baltimore, it would be Anthony Bourdain, hands down, because I like some attitude. However, because he has bashed Charm City up one side and down the other, he takes a backseat to the silver fox, Eric Ripert. He's so pretty, plus, unlike Mr. Bourdain -- who is also sort of silver fox-y -- he is gracious and French and the genius behind NYC's Le Bernardin among others. However, he is not snobby...he is strangely enthusiastic about cooking in toaster ovens. Foxy, indeed.

What are you most likely to order at a Steak House, sides included.
Beth:
Ribeye (Medium to Medium Rare) and creamed spinach. Creamed spinach can have a baby food like quality, but I like that.
Kristin: I'm a New York Strip kind of gal, medium rare always, and I've never met a potato that I didn't immediately want to know better. I've been known to order more than one kind of potato at one meal, usually mashed and scalloped or fried, however I eschew the steak fry.

Favorite dinner as a kid?
Beth:
Flounder filets lightly breaded and fried, baked potato (lots of butter) and Le
Sueur peas. My mom served the fish with a wedge of lemon and tartar sauce. As a kid I thought tartar sauce was the most awful thing ever made. Of course, now I know that I was a fool.
Kristin: OK, this is wacky considering that my mom made everything BUT this from scratch, but she used to make me Italian fondue for my birthday...it was literally a pound of crumbled Italian sausage, a jar of Prego (no joke), onion, some spices and about 4 cups of shredded cheese. It is served with 1" chunks of hearty Italian bread, fondue-style. I think there was usually salad involved. I've eaten it once or twice as an adult and it is sooo much fun but sooo rich and heavy. It is amazing what a child can consume...I used to wash it down with chocolate mousse, my birthday dessert of choice. Almost makes me shudder.

Favorite Dinners as an adult?
Beth: Mussels and frites and mayonnaise for dipping. And some nice crusty bread as a side. I like mussels cooked all ways, but my favorite is in white whine and shallots. Plus there are many places in DC to get a nice big bowl of steaming mussels. I pray the trend continues!
Kristin: I don't even know how to begin to answer this. Honestly, I'll go really far out of my way for and debate passionately about the perfect cheeseburger. My husband makes a rather epic version that just might make it onto this blog someday. However, if I had to choose my last meal on earth, I'd like to eat tapas-style: some nice, cold oysters on the half shell; sushi-grade tuna diced raw and seasoned with lemon zest, grey salt and capers; duck-fat french fries and a really good BLT.

Have a question you want us to answer? Send it to us! We'd love to hear from you!

Have a different answer to the questions above that you'd like to share? Please do!

No comments: