Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Chicken Shawarma


Here's a recipe that's inspired by a Middle Eastern restaurant near my home.

Shawarma can be found in Middle Eastern and Mediterranean countries. It's traditionally cooked on a vertical spit. Sadly I don't have one, but I'm in discussions with my husband about installing one in our apartment.

But even without the vertical spit, I think I've done justice to this dish. It's really all about the marinade, and the tahini sauce.


Serves 4

1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast (cut into bite size 1 inch pieces)

Marinade
1 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup vinegar
3 garlic cloves minced
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp curry
1 tsp turmeric
Juice of 1 lemon

Sauce
1 cup tahini
1 1/2 cups water
2 garlic cloves crushed
Juice of 2 lemons
2 tablespoons yogurt
salt/pepper to taste.


Combine ingredients for the marinade. Marinate chicken overnight.

Mix ingredients in blender for sauce, and refrigerate

Brown chicken in large skillet.

Serve this over rice, or serve in pita bread with shredded lettuce, tomato, and cucumber slices.

And of course pour desired amount of sauce on the chicken : )

1 comment:

benpershing said...

As the Official Guinea Pig of this blog, I can attest that this recipe is awesome. And it's making me hungry just reading it again.