Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Mrs. Chernic's Apple Cake


In honor of apple season, I'll share a family recipe for Apple Cake. I've been eating this particular cake my whole life. The smell of it baking reminds me of home, family and holidays. Now, if we are Facebook friends you might even be familiar with this recipe as I posted it over the summer. But this recipe is so good, it needs to be shared again.

This recipe came to my family when we lived in Shenorock, NY. Our house was Cape Cod style, white with black shutters. We had a screened-in porch, a garden in the back, a yard to play in, and a neigbor with a fabulous aboveground pool. We also had brown tap water that looked a little like Coca-Cola (although, no fizz), and according to the town was perfectly safe to drink.

Mrs. Chernic is the recipe's author and she lived down the street. She was older, retired, widowed, and always drank bottled water. My grandmother actually found her as she was surveying the neighborhood when we first moved to the area. My grandmother, who didn’t live close by, was looking for a kind neighbor to perhaps help my mom from time to time. And Mrs. Chernick could not have been any kinder. She did lots of babysitting. It was particularly cool that she cut my peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on a diagonal. Impressive. And now, the Apple Cake:

3 cups all purpose flour
3 tsp baking powder
2 cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup orange juice
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
2 medium apples, sliced and sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. Use whatever apple variety you like best.

Mix dry, then add the wet ingredients. No need to mix the wet ingredients before adding to the dry.

You must have a hand mixer. This batter is very very very thick. Mix for 5 - 6 minutes

Slice two medium apples and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.

Spray bundt pan with nonstick spray. Then alternate adding batter and apples in layers. Start and end with batter.

Cook at 350 for 55 minutes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just made Mrs. Churnick's apple cake today to bring to a friend's for dessert. I'm convinced we need to come up with a maple glaze to dress it up or even pour a little carmel sauce over each serving, what do you think?

Beth said...

Caramel Sauce! It could use a little drizzle of that :)

I definitely thought of that before.